Summer’s right around the corner and we want to bring you some of the best tips for getting that head-turning beach body. Whether you’re a guy or girl you’ll be able to benefit from these bits of advice towards a healthier, happier and better-looking version of you just in time for the sun.
1 – Don’t Restrict Yourself
It can seem counter-intuitive. Surely you need to cut out some foods in order to get leaner? Well, the truth is that you don’t really need to cut out anything. All you need to do is to not eat these less-healthy foods often. You don’t want to be that person who can’t have an ice cream on the beach because you’re too worried about losing your abs. Instead, adjust your day accordingly. If you think you’re going to indulge a little at lunch, then eat a little less for breakfast and dinner. If you want to have chips and a burger with your friends at night, then reduce your calories in the day leading up. There’s no need for your social life to suffer just so that you can look a bit better. We’re not saying to go all out and eat junk for every meal; simply follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of the time eat healthy, natural, clean foods and save the other 20% for life’s more exciting diet options. As long as your overall calories for the day are under what you expend, then you’ll be losing fat.
2 – Abs Might Be Made in The Kitchen, But They’re Sculpted in The Gym
It’s very much true that in order to see your abs, you first need to lose weight. However, once you’ve lost that fat from your midline there are exercises you can do to make them look even better. The three best exercises to get defined, sculpted abs are:
The first two can be done as either timed holds or for repetitions whereas you should try to increase the weight on the last one. Remember to really focus on engaging your abs and performing the movement correctly to get the most out of it. If you find leg raises challenging, then bend your knees to reduce the leverage. All of these will not only help the aesthetics of your core, but the strength and capability of it, too.
3 – Focus In
Now, there are parts of all of our bodies which we don’t feel as confident with or want to improve. In order to get a good-looking, proportionate physique we’re told to hit every muscle equally and not go too hard on an individual area. However, if you know that you have one muscle or area that’s particularly lagging, then it can be important to focus in on it in the month leading up to beach season.
For instance, you might want your arms to grow. You’ll be surprised how much of a difference adding in more arm volume can make just four weeks before your body will be on show. Having a dedicated arm session each week on top of your training or adding in some hard extensions and curls at the end of gym visit may not be sustainable, but it’s effective for a short period of time. The same goes for glutes, legs, shoulders and chest. Whether you’re a man or a woman, paying direct attention to a specific area for a short period of time can not only help you bust through plateaus, but also improve your overall appearance for when it’s time to whip out the swimsuit.